On Saturday we held the Math Voyage and as always, it is a gratifying experience because it is so appreciated by all who attend.  In addition to the 37 parents who attended, we also had faculty, both our own as well as from Castle Island and Our World Montessori schools.  At one point during the Voyage, a parent who is a public school teacher, approached me in the hall to first thank the teachers and me, and also to tell me about an encounter she had with another teacher at her school.   A special education teacher who was visiting her class commented to her that her class has such a different feel and atmosphere, more positive and welcoming.  Our parent told the visiting teacher that she credits Woodland Hill Montessori School, her son’s school, for this. Using welcoming and respectful language helps each person who walks through our door feel good about being here and opens their hearts and minds towards learning.  She said that her son asked, “Mommy, my teacher asked me to challenge my brain today. Did you ask your children to challenge their brains?”  She recalled that she said, “No, but I will tomorrow!”  While she originally observed WHMS classrooms to get curriculum ideas, she found herself writing about the language that our teachers use.

Comments

Popular Posts